Naughty Elf on the Shelf

Naughty Elf on the Shelf

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

We’ve all heard the story of the Elf on the Shelf, and perhaps, when you were a kid, your parents even engaged you in the game. It’s a tradition that started off small but grew more rapidly than anything. For those who do not know about the Christmas tradition, the elf is a medium sized doll that magically awakens during the night while the children are sleeping, and reports to Santa about how the children have been. The elf then comes back home before the kids can wake up and sits in a different spot each time. As a child, you probably ran around the house the next morning searching far and wide for the elf’s new sitting place. Over the years the Elf on the Shelf has become one of the biggest traditions and has even spread to different religions such as Judaism.

Recently though, the Elf on the Shelf craze has gotten slightly out of hand. From households to classrooms the elf is watching children to determine if they will be on the naughty list, or the nice list for Christmas. Somewhere down the line though people have been getting out of hand with the elf, whether it is turning it into something entirely different or positioning in places that may scare children. It has become very popular on the internet to post pictures of the once kind and watchful elf turned naughty and inappropriate. There are pictures of the elf lying on a table snorting cocaine, throwing money at a Monster High pole dancer, and taking a dump on Christmas cookies. Whether or not these people have children at home, it ruins the sweet holiday spirit for the kids who happen to see it while scrolling through the internet.

In people’s classrooms the elf has been “spotted” and captured in a photograph of him cutting up student’s homework, dressing up like characters, and scaring students when appearing in unimaginable places. These aren’t as bad as the ones on the internet, but it still is far from the kind, magical elf that everyone came to know and love. Some students even complained to teachers that the elf was scaring them a little, and kindly asked if the elf could be more nice. It has been a controversy over the internet between parents for awhile now. Why has the Elf on the Shelf become so ridiculous?  

Something that was made for fun turned into slightly more than that. The elf was suppose to help parents handle their kids, get children into the Christmas spirit, and provide a fun activity for people all over. Now it has become an argument online between parents, what is your opinion?