School Closures and Prevention of the Coronavirus

[UPDATE from HUSD Informational Press Release: As of 8:30 a.m. March 12, 2020, there are still no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in San Bernardino County.  The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), California Department of Public Health, and the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health have NOT recommended school closures in our area at this time.  As such, there are NO current plans for HUSD school closures.  HUSD officials are maintaining clear communication with public health and education offices to maintain safety for all of our students.]

As of March 12, 2020, a total of 2,100 schools nationwide have been shut down or scheduled to close due to reasons related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus and School Closures). This usually occurs over the span of a few days or weeks in order to allow custodians to sanitize and deep clean schools. Some school systems have also taken the time to train teachers and prepare lessons in case students may need to learn outside of school (Schools Close Over Coronavirus Threat). 

The following information has been provided by an email sent by the Hesperia Unified School District Superintendent, David Olney:

Currently, in the San Bernardino district, there are no confirmed cases of the CoronaVirus. The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health has highlighted the importance of practicing good public health hygiene. 

Hesperia Unified School district is following the California Department of Health’s “school guidance for COVID-19”. It has been expressed that schools in HUSD are under “Scenario 1- Measures already underway to prevent the spread of COVID-19”, as seen with the Oak Hills High School custodians sanitizing the desks in classrooms on the daily bases

Governor Gavin Newsom has announced that “non-essential gatherings must be limited to no more than 250 people.” As a result, schools will be postponing any major indoor school events such as iExpo. David Olney also mentioned that any school extra-curricular activities and field trips will be reviewed. Schools are also being directed to educate students on proper social distancing and handwashing during lunch. 

For more up to date information regarding the Coronavirus please visit the San Bernardino County website as they are doing a great job at keeping everyone informed of what’s going on.