AP US History Project’s In Holland’s Classroom

The Progressive era

Five+APUSH+students+are+pictured+with+a+display+on+Muckrakers+Solution.+In+front+of+their+project%2C+they+had+mini+notebooks+to+give+away.+%28From+left+to+right%3A+Alaya+Fields%2C+Danyael+Holloway%2C+Edgar+Gonzalez%2C+Mark+Garcia%2C+Olivia+Velosa%29+

Kailee Figaro

Five APUSH students are pictured with a display on Muckrakers Solution. In front of their project, they had mini notebooks to give away. (From left to right: Alaya Fields, Danyael Holloway, Edgar Gonzalez, Mark Garcia, Olivia Velosa)

Krysta Holland is an AP history teacher at OHHS. Her class participated in a project about the progressive era. Her class usually works on assignments about different eras and they occasionally work on projects. Here are 2 projects from her students about the progressive era.              

Kailee Figaro
Four juniors from Mrs. Holland’s class are pictured with their project on Political Reforms. They had U.S. flags displayed and gave them away. (From left to right: Gabriel Verley, Alexis Christman, Alanna Donegan, Brisa Martinez)

Senior Gabriel Verley and juniors Alexis Chriscman, Alanna Donegan, and  Brisa Martinez worked together in a group project about Government and political reforms. They started creating the project on February 21, 2020 at home.

Alanna Donegan feels this project is important because, “It’s a fun and easy way to learn about the political reformation era”.

Alexis Chriscman thinks this project can benefit students by increasing their knowledge of political reforms.              

Kailee Figaro
Four students in APUSH are pictured with a display they made about Women’s Suffrage. They displayed and gave away cookies based on their project. (From left to right: Mason Dillon, Nicholas Santos, Mia Carter, Bryan Machado)

Juniors Nicholas Santos, Bryan Machado, Mia Carter, and Mason Dillon all contributed to create a booth about women’s suffrage. They learned about the way men and women during this period did not have equal rights. 

“They can learn more about history,” Nicholas Santos said this project can help people in several different ways, “They can learn how to be more respectful to other people, and they can learn not to judge a book by its cover.”

The Woman Suffrage Movement began in 1848, when the women’s rights convention was held in Seneca Falls, New York. Over time, women began to realize that in order to achieve reform, they needed to win the right to vote. In 1918, the efforts of the women’s suffrage movement finally had a breakthrough. A Bill was passed through Parliament that granted some women the right to vote. They had to be over the age of 30 and own property or be married to someone who owned property. 

The 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution granted American women the right to vote, a right known as women’s suffrage, and it was ratified on August 18, 1920. This event ended almost a century of protests.

Many people in today’s society still do not have equal rights. Men are still allowed to do more things than women. Especially in today’s different military branches. There are certain positions that men can hold, but women are not allowed to have. There has been a very long fight for equal rights for women, but women still face violence, discrimination, and institutional barriers to equal participation in society. But women are still fighting, and hopefully, someday everybody will have completely equal rights.