A Close Inside Look Into Two of the Oak Hills Soccer Boys

November 5, 2019

Kenneth Angel-Ortiz, a sophomore at Oak Hills High School, has been playing soccer since the age of four. When Kenneth first began playing he felt that the sport was almost intolerable.

Kenneth explains, “At first I hated it, I would cry the second I stepped on the field”.

His father, Richard Angel, first encouraged him to play and after a few years, Kenneth began to feel passionate about soccer. He continued playing and made Varsity at Oak Hills High School and he is thrilled to begin the upcoming season. 

Precious Vasquez
Sophomore Kenneth Angel-Ortiz is pictured during practice working on his juggling skills. Spending time perfecting his skills since October for the upcoming soccer season.

Kenneth grew up in Victorville, California and has been playing soccer for 11 years. This is his second year playing for the Oak Hills soccer team and he plays as a midfielder. Kenneth got a tryout with ODP, Olympic Development Program, and although he was cut he found it to be a great experience. 

When he was at the tryout Kenneth says, “I was not nervous because I was confident in my soccer abilities. Although I was cut it gave me a new perspective on things”.

He has put a lot of hard work into getting better and day by day he tries to perfect his kicks, dribbles, etc by practicing multiple times a week. He has dreams of going to UC Irvine and pursuing a soccer career. 

Martin Munoz, also a sophomore at Oak Hills High School, has been playing soccer for 8 years. Martin first began playing soccer at the age of 7 with AYSO, the American Youth Soccer Organization. His brother, Ismael Munoz, would take him out to play and as the years went on his love for the sport grew.

Precious Vasquez
Sophomore Martin Munoz is in his second year as a bulldog preparing for the upcoming season. He is currently the midfielder for the JV boys soccer team.

During his time at Cedar Middle school, Martin broke his ankle after falling during a game of basketball. He struggled to be on the field for a while, but after about 10 months he was able to fully recover and play again. 

For years Martin has looked up to Cristiano Ronaldo, seeing his struggles and his success gave him the inspiration to do better and work harder. Martin always found Cristiano Ronaldo to be an amazing player, one who he looks up to.

He explains, “All of his hard work has led him to where he is and he is successful, so that inspired me to do the same.”

Martin tries to perfect his skill outside of practice so that he can become a better player. He is a midfielder and plays for JV at Oak Hills High School. This is now Martins’s second year playing for the Oak Hills soccer team and he enjoys playing for the school. He has dreams of attending CBU and beginning a soccer career.