Student Athletes talk academics, teamwork, and the Tennis Court

Three tennis players manage schoolwork and tennis since they first met during their freshman year.

In+this+photo%2C+Natalie+Hartman%2C+Navjot+Brar%2C+and+Cassidy+McCarter+are+posing+for+an+article+on+Girls+Tennis.+They+all+start+on+the+varsity+team.+

In this photo, Natalie Hartman, Navjot Brar, and Cassidy McCarter are posing for an article on Girls Tennis. They all start on the varsity team.

Anyah Hyder

Anyah Hyder

Anyah Hyder

Girls tennis is important here at OHHS. These girls balance good grades, schoolwork, and tennis, but they always manage to work hard. Every girl on the team is important and influential in their own way, but there are a few that stand out. Three girls by the names of Navjot Brar, Cassidy Mc Carter, and Natalie Hartman, have been playing together since freshman year, and they always manage to be great students at the same time. 

Navjot Brar is a senior here at OHHS. Her favorite part of playing at OHHS is learning a new sport that teaches her etiquette. She claims that tennis is so special to her because “it showed her a different view on sports, and it taught her leadership skills.”

Cassidy McCarter also commented on Navjot, saying that she is a leader and “she is always there for her team.”

Outside of tennis, Navjot is a huge supporter of all of her friends and what they do. She commented that no matter what sport, no matter what time, she is always there to support her friends and what they are doing. Navjot is currently in AP classes and she always stays on top of her schoolwork. Navjot says that her biggest supporters are her best friends Julian Macias and Jacob Rangel, who push her to do better not only in tennis but schoolwork and her life decisions. 

Cassidy McCarter is another senior here at OHHS. Her favorite part of playing tennis at OHHS is making new friends and forming new bonds. Tennis is so special to Cassidy because it was the first sport she ever took seriously, and she feels very rewarded when she wins. Cassidy claims that to every team she is “underestimated” and this makes her very persistent.

Navjot also says, “Cassidy is underestimated by everyone [they] play, and she always goes out there and blows them away.”

Outside of tennis, Cassidy’s friendships thrive. She loves her friends, and she considers herself the “mom friend.” What makes her so special is her ability to nurture relationships, and that she is always there for everybody. Cassidy is currently in AP classes, and she always puts her schoolwork first. The biggest influences in her life are her parents, who are always supporting her. 

Natalie Hartman is another senior here at OHHS. Her favorite part of playing for OHHS is supporting her teammates and meeting new people. Tennis is important to Natalie because her mom played in high school, and she wants to follow in her footsteps.

Navjot commented, “Natalie is the only person on the team who can play doubles and singles, and still be good at both.”

Outside of tennis, Natalie is a professional student. She has a very busy schedule, packed with AP classes and tennis events. Natalie explains, “[I continue] to put school first and she tries to be a very good student.” She says that her biggest supporters are her family because they always make sure that she does her best. 

These three girls are extraordinary, and they are perfect examples of student-athletes. They are not only amazing tennis players, but they are positive influences on everyone around them. 

For more questions, comments, or concerns about the girls tennis team, contact the head coach via email [email protected].