Oak Hills named AVID Site of Distinction

Robert Williams, Schey Morton, Silvia Allen, Audrey Longshore, Regina Bell, Rikki Morell, and Alicia Fascinato, they are all of Oak Hills AVID teachers. AVID specializes in helping students prepare for life out of high school.

Oak Hills High School has been recognized as an AVID Site of Distinction. This means that our school has met all the requirements for earning this Site of Distinction as an AVID school. It is a program that helps students prepare for what is to come after high school, whether it is going to college or something else. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. The program’s strategies and ideologies are used schoolwide by both teachers and students who are and are not in the program.

Science teacher and AVID co-coordinator, Audrey Longshore, states that “It was a team effort. We have a great AVID team of teachers”. She also mentions that our assistant principal, Matthew Johnson, played a big role in Oak Hills’ certification because “he was the one who made sure that teachers have the proper training”.

Our school was named AVID Site of Distinction for the very first time last year during the school year.

However, it is “this year that we’re finally able from the beginning of this year to say ‘hey, we are a Site of Distinction,” Ms. Longshore says.

Here at school, our AVID program is very well-known. Being given that the status Site of Distinction just adds another layer of recognition popularity to our program and our school as a whole.

“It’s just a nice recognition for all the hard work that we do, and the focus that we have on the students and student success,” Longshore stated.

We were given two banners that show this accomplishment. It can be found on the right side gate next to the office upon entering the student drop-off area. The other banner located in the front office on the wall so it is easily viewable to anyone who walks in.