Details on Creative Writing and Mythology/Folklore

What you need to know about DeHart and Kamffer through their creative writing and mythology classes

Top: Writing in Journal
,Bottom: The Court of Neptune Fountain at Library of Congress- Pictures found on Freerange

Top: Writing in Journal ,Bottom: The Court of Neptune Fountain at Library of Congress- Pictures found on Freerange

Created on Pic Collage by Valerie Miranda

Creative writing and mythology are both electives that are available to students here at Oak Hills High School. Although creative writing and mythology are two distinct subjects, one thing they have in common is storytelling.

Creative Writing

Allison DeHart started teaching at Oak Hills High School in the 2011-2012 school year and teaches Creative Writing, an elective available to students here on campus.

“Creative Writing is a class where students learn how to tap into their creative spirit,” DeHart speaks about her creative writing class. “[Students] learn about the mechanics of writing creatively as well as what makes a great story.”

By: Aaron Burden, Writing in a notebook with a fountain pen

DeHart considers herself a creative writing nerd and truly enjoys being able to teach creative writing to students. “I get to teach such amazing students who come to my class excited to write”.

In addition, Dehart wants people to know that creative writing is fun. It is a class that can help students find their voice and gives students the opportunity to tell their story.  She also enjoys reading the work her students create because each person has a unique voice, she states herself, “I have some awesome writers in this class. They produce such extraordinary works and each student’s voice is so different. I never get bored”.

Mythology and Folklore

Mythology/Folklore has been a class available to students at OHHS for two years now, thanks to William Kamffer an English teacher who designed the course himself (a year before it was available as an elective). Kamffer got interested in mythology as a boy through medieval legends of King Arthur, and in his junior year of high school, he fell in love with the poem Beowulf.

He wants students to learn about the different myths that have influenced much of European and American culture, and show students the different stories that cultures have told about themselves and the world around them. He finds sharing these stories with his class to be the most enjoyable part of teaching mythology because he wants students to see that both people back then and people from today share the same concerns.

By: Roi Dimor, Image of Perseus holding the head of Medusa

“A lot of these stories are familiar, but many are strange and weird and wonderful. Exposing students to these stories help us to see ourselves as part of a larger tapestry of humanity, still concerned about the same things”.

Kamffer wants students to recognize that today we still use stories to explain the world we live in, he gave, for example, The Great American Myth of the American Dream.

If you have any questions about mythology or creative writing, visit your counselor or email Allison DeHart at [email protected] and William Kamffer at [email protected]