Honoring Our Heroes

Honoring Our Heroes

The 9/11 tribute at the volleyball Oak Hills High School game.

Kailee Figaro

Kailee Figaro

Kailee Figaro

September 11, 2001, was a tragic day in United States history. A terrorist attack on New York and Washington D.C. cost the lives of nearly 3,000 people. This date is remembered around the country by many, including Oak Hills High School and their volleyball team. Every year on September 11th, volleyball holds a ceremony honoring those who were lost and those who serve today.

Holly Shae, from the freshman volleyball team, says that she believes the event was great, “a wonderful event for the people who serve our country”.

All heroes to the U.S. are honored on this day. 

Kailee Figaro
Our Varsity volleyball girls hold a flag while ROTC is hidden and they honor those that have fallen in 9/11.

The ceremony starts with a moment of silence for those who are actively in the military or those who have served before. This moment of silence is to honor them and respect the risks that they have taken for their country. The varsity volleyball team then comes out with flags on their back, and then a larger flag to sing the national anthem. The national anthem is sung and everyone who serves is honored with songs, speeches, and words of appreciation. Many share their story and what this event means to them. 

Kailee Figaro
Kei’ana Pascua, Keilana Gardner, Emilee Cortez as they prepare to individuals give their speeches as a tribute to those that have passed.

Cris, who is in the U.S. Navy but is not actively deployed, says that he enjoys protecting his country and its borders.

Cris believes that he enjoys the 9/11 ceremony because he  “appreciates the sacrifices that were made on 9/11,” and he believes that “9/11 should never be forgotten throughout history”.

September 11 will always be an important date for Cris as he greatly appreciates the sacrifices that people made on this day. He especially appreciates the sacrifices made by those who serve, including the fire department, police force, and the people in the military. 

Kailee Figaro
Cris serves in the USA Navy, Cris stands in front of our big red Oak Hills sign in uniform.

Sargent Reinsburg is a marine recruiter for Oak Hills High School who often attends school events and is recognized as a hero. His favorite part about OHHS is that the students do the pledge of allegiance every single day. He explains that the schools he went to did not do this, and he thinks it’s really cool that everyone at OHHS participates. He was inspired by his grandfather to start serving, and he began boot camp at the age of 19.

Sargent Reinsburg comments that he serves due to having family here in the states, “he loves getting a chance to protect them”.  

While he was only in 2nd grade on September 11th, 2001, the day still means a lot to him. He believes that the 9/11 ceremony is important because it honors everyone in the community who serves and it gives the community a chance to all come together on a dark day. He believes that 9/11 brought America together and it is always important to honor the innocent lives that were lost on this day. 

The picture was taken by Kailee Figaro

Sgt. Reinsburg is pictured, he currently serves to recruit people from Oak Hills High School.

While 9/11 was a tragic day in history, it gives the community a reason to come together and honor this day and the people who serve. The OHHS volleyball team continuously honors the lives lost on this day in history, and the people who serve.