Suicide hotline on Student Identification Cards

Senate Bill 472 is the reason why California Middle Schools and High Schools have a suicide hotline on their identification cards.

[Updated: September 28, 2019]

There are some changes that took place at the start of the 2019-2020 school-year: a suicide hotline on the back of student identification (ID) cards.

School districts across state of California, including the Hesperia Unified School District (HUSD), added the suicide hotline phone number to ID’s because the California Senate passed Bill 472 which required that,“pupils in any of grades 7 to 12, to have printed on either side of the pupil identification cards the telephone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.”

Many people did not even realize the back of their IDs had changed from the standard rules it use to be.

Students like Oak Hills High School senior, Josie Rubio, saw the phone numbers right away, “It was a cool thing to add and it could be a good resource for people who need it.”

Knowing that students think this will be a helpful resource makes adding the suicide hotline on the back of the ID cards that much more important; it shows that the school has done the right thing and some students have acknowledged that.

Senior Sarah Reyes explains, “It is a good concept and shows that the school cares.”

When Senior at OHHS, Montgomery Langley was approached about the phone numbers, he did not realize that there was a change in the ID format. Once he took notice of the change, Montgomery was actually disappointed. Montgomery suggests that the district should focus more on the problems that lead up to people wanting to take their own lives.

“[It is] sad that we, as a society and district, have come to that point where we have to put the suicide hotline number on the back of IDs,” Montgomery added.

Adding the suicide hotline on the back of ID cards gives students the chance to talk to someone and to help them in whatever situation that makes them.

Read more about the Pupil and Student Health: Identification cards, suicide prevention hotline telephone numbers here.