Suicide hotline on Student Identification Cards

Senate Bill 472

Starting the school year of 2019-2020 there are some changes that took place. The new thing they added this year was including a suicide hotline on the back of student identification (ID) cards. The Hesperia Unified School District (HUSD) had decided to add the number to ID’s because of the Senate passing the Bill 472 which states that,“pupils in any of grades 7 to 12, to have printed on either side of the pupil identification cards the telephone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline”. Many people did not even realize the back of their IDs had changed from the standard rules it use to be.

Some people who had seen it right away thought and Josie Rubio, senior at OHHS commented that, “it was a cool thing to add and it could be a good resource for people who need it”.

Knowing that students do think it will help just makes adding the suicide hotline in the back of the ID cards that much more important, it shows that the school has done the right thing and some students have acknowledged that.

Seniors like Austin Arzate and Sarah Reyes both share similar ideas in saying how, “it is a good concept and shows that the school cares”.

One senior here at OHHS actually had not even realized that there was a change in the ID format. Once he took notice of the change he took a different viewpoint on it.

Senior at OHHS, Montgomery Langley commented that it was actually quite disappointing, “as sad that we as a society and district have come to that point where we have to put the suicide hotline number on the back of IDs”.

Montgomery’s point of view makes it a realization of how it is actually quite sad that schools have had to come to a point where students feel the need to know how to get help. He thinks that the district should focus more on the problems that lead up to people wanting to take their own lives, so it can be stopped.

Adding the suicide hotline on the back of ID cards shows students how someone out there cares enough to give kids the chance to talk to someone and to help them in whatever situation that makes them feel like they don’t matter in this world.

For more info:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB972