New Grade, New School, and A Lot of Change

Know What a New Student Thinks of Attending High School

April 27, 2019

Cedar Middle School eighth grader, Tammy Dinh.

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Oak Hills High School has welcomed the future bulldogs of 2023 with open arms and are preparing to greet the new students at OHHS. Students have an automatic change to a new place that is different than the previous school they were in that causes them to hesitate when it comes to them becoming more comfortable in a new environment.

The stress of stepping into a larger school property can be intimidating to newcomers who have became a part of the student body. Some new students who enter high school can be afraid of meeting older students and teachers who can intimidate them. Though some students take time to accept the new surroundings, others are immediately awed at the different things in a new place.

Cedar Middle School student Tammy Dinh will begin her journey at OHHS in the 2019-2020 school year. Tammy is active with Advanced Orchestra for all two years and will continue at OHHS to play.

“It came a lot sooner than I expected, that’s for sure. Also, I had siblings who already went to high school so everything seems kind of normal,” Tammy stated her thoughts on changing grade levels in a different school.

As students become more comfortable in the environment in one particular school, they can become uncertain of the different atmosphere in a place they are unfamiliar with. From a sudden move to a new spot in grade levels, it can cause students to feel, not only afraid, but isolated from the lack of awareness of where they are and from the strangers around them.

Though encouragement from both teachers and other students can give positive results, it can also lead to negative outcomes of being rejected in many forms that can lead a student to think lowly of themself and will become uncooperative through social activities.

However, students can experience social activities positively by keeping an open mind and allowing themselves to become more outspoken and honest. Accepting to not be closed minded, can lead the individual to be less nervous when meeting different people and people who are opposite of them.

“I still want to do strings, but I do want to experience and branch out to different electives because  I don’t want to regret never taking other electives and I want to experience them,” Tammy explained her thoughts on what to do while being at OHHS.

Tammy was one of the students who had attended the Class of 2023 orientation for OHHS and is excited to experience high school. She has also had some knowledge of OHHS from her older sister, who had graduated from OHHS.