The Stress AP Class Exams Have on Students

Advanced Placement Students are stressing out for the next upcoming weeks

AP booklet informing students on the upcoming events for the exams

Yuri Cain

Yuri Cain

Yuri Cain

Every year College Board hosts the AP exams for schools across the country. Within a span of two weeks, over 30 tests are handed out and then sent back for grading. If students pass the AP exam that they are given it will count towards college credit but if not, then it does nothing for them.

Preparing for the test and taking the test can be equally stressful for students as their high school teachings are wrapped all into one big test which can help them later in college. Preparing for these types of tests can stem from what students learn in the AP classes at school but for extra measure, some students study for themselves using booklets and practice quizzes. Quite a few of the practice tests and quizzes are available online or for rental at the library. However, there are some that require students to buy it.

“For me, the most stressful thing is the thought that I’m going to fail. I spent the entire year preparing for one big test; and it’s so daunting to think that it all boils down to that,” comments Vanessa Luu, a senior at OHHS.

The day of the test can be stressful. Students are told to go to sleep early and eat a hearty breakfast so they can feel refreshed and wide awake during their test which usually happens in the morning. However, students usually will not get sleep the night before because of their nerves and hundreds of studying thoughts running through their heads. As stressed students walk into the testing rooms, their anxiety builds up even more. Throughout the whole test, students are concentrating on the correct answers or writing the perfect essay.

“Going into the AP season I feel pretty prepared but there is always still the pressure of constantly studying and trying to make the mark of a three or higher,” states Michael Leon, an AP senior at OHHS.

After the test, most students will think they failed. They will walk out relieved from the stress of starting the test but disappointed in themselves or being too harsh. Dealing with AP tests are not easy whether you are preparing for it, taking it, or leaving the testing room. You feel as if your whole high school experience in that class has been brought down to just a number.

“I am just trying to keep calm, study hard, and go to the available tutoring,” comments Amaiah Jordan, an OHHS AP student.

The AP tests have their good and bad sides but either way we all just wish the best for the students that are taking it.