OHHS History Day Students Have Made it to State Level Competition

National History Day in California

Taken+from+a+flyer+given+by+Mrs.+Boulanger+

Taken from a flyer given by Mrs. Boulanger

Valorie Santillan

Valorie Santillan

Valorie Santillan

National History Day is a nationwide competition where high school students compete with other schools. During the fall, students did a project in their Expository English class and their theme for the project was “Triumph and Tragedy”. Twenty students were selected to compete for the county in March and five were champions, meaning that of the five students, two will be selected from each division to advance to the state level competition. Last year Oak Hills High School had one student advance to the state competition, we have yet to have anyone from OHHS become a state champion.The competition for this state level will be held on May 10 – 12th of 2019 in the Sacramento area.

The five champions were:

• Arabella Ruiz did her exhibit on “The Freedom Summer Murders: A Tragic Price Paid for Voting Rights”
  • Angel Moreno Rosales did his documentary on “Operation Gunnerside : The Allied Triumph over Germany´s Atomic Pursuit”
  • Madison Boinski did a website on “Alexander v. Yale: A Title IX Triumph over Sexual Harassment on Campus”
  • Samuel Perez did his documentary on “MK Ultra: The Tragedy of the CIA´s Mind-Control Program”
  • Emily Morris did a website on “Nazi Medical Research: Triumphant Results from Tragic Experimentation”

At state competition,  students will advance to the national competition in June at the University of Maryland near Washington D.C. They can make an exhibit, a website, a documentary, a live performance, or write a historical paper.

“At competition, judges evaluate the projects for historical quality and overall appeal. They also interview the students about their process and what they learned from it,” Expository English teacher Jeni Boulanger comments on this cause.

For further information you can contact Mrs. Boulanger in room D-20 and they are also having donations to cover expenses to get to state competition.