Mechanics at Oak Hills High School

Mechanics at Oak Hills High School

The East view of the garage of OHHS with two trucks in view.

Sydnie Russo

Sydnie Russo

Sydnie Russo

Part of being in high school is getting your own car and learning how to drive. Having a car is a lot of responsibility and sometimes you need to fix it. At Oak Hills High School, there is a class that teaches students how to fix cars, boats, and even ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles). This class is taught by John Boulanger and he has been teaching automotives for a year at OHHS, but in total he has taught it for five years.

There are two classes and a club regarding the mechanics program at OHHS. There is a beginning class and an advanced class. In order to work on an actual car, you have to take the class for a year and then the next year you will be able to into advanced and work on the actual car. When you take beginning automotive, you mostly work on engines and breaks. Meanwhile the students in advanced get to do work on the whole car rather than what the beginning students are working on.

Kalobb Sanchez, a freshman at OHHS says his favorite thing about the class is, “Coming in and having the freedom to do what you have to do. Also, [he] enjoys learning new things that [he] didn’t know about cars”.

The class mostly works on cars and barely has any written assignments. Once or twice a month the students are given a  pop-quiz which pertains to anything that they have recently gone over in class. In beginning auto shop, the class is shown pictures of people in car accidents. They are shown these pictures so that the students learn to respect the power of cars and realize how dangerous they can actually be. 

There is an automotive club currently being run by the President, Kevin Brooks. The future president of the club is Hunter Miller, a current sophomore at OHHS and he has been in the class for two years now.

“My favorite [vehicle] to work on is a truck, because they are more fun to work on,” Miller says, when asked what his favorite vehicle to work on is.

There is only one girl in the advanced class yet Boulanger hopes to see more girls in his advanced and beginning class next year. Fixing cars is not just for men and it is a useful skill that can be used throughout your lifetime. All grades are welcome to join his beginning class and in order to join his advanced class you have to take one year of his beginning automotive class first.

If you are interested in fixing cars, or if you have a car that needs to be fixed, feel free to talk to Boulanger about his automotive class and how they are able to help you and your car problems. Or if you or someone you know has a car that needs to be fixed, the students will fix it for free, as long as you pay for the needed parts.