Class of 2023 Visits Oak Hills High School

A group of 8th grade students at Cedar Middle School taking a tour of Oak Hills High School.

Sydnie Russo

Sydnie Russo

Sydnie Russo

Oak Hills High School welcomed the class of 2023 through tours, performances, and games that was hosted by the Associated Student Body of OHHS. Cedar Middle School took its last year students to OHHS and encountered the Bulldog Experience to ensure their presence is welcomed at OHHS.

The students were split into two groups: one seeing examples of what activities students can join, and the other played games and were given a tour of the campus.

The students saw examples of activities that they can be involved in and then a few OHHS students said a word on their experiences from their time at OHHS. Cedar students were given a demonstration of what they can be involved with, such as sports, band, Color Guard, choir, and orchestra in the PAC.

OHHS Senior and football player, Jason Rodriguez gave a few words on what his first experience at Oak Hills was like and encouraged the future bulldogs to be open-minded to new changes, as well as to not be afraid of taking risks in joining new things.

The second group stayed in the gymnasium and had a choice to do one of three things: arm-twisting game, OHHS ASB students spoke about “The Ten Things I Wish I Knew As A Freshmen”, and a Questionnaire.

“It was a good experience and my tour person was very nice. I wasn’t expecting to meet entertaining people,” Leslie Amezcua said, member of Cedar’s Marching Band and Jazz Band.

Cedar Middle School students were given the chance to experience the environment of OHHS and meet other students who were in their places once. When students are given this opportunity, they are more likely to be comfortable in an environment that is welcoming.

“It’s a really good opportunity to give that sense of belonging right away, they’re still in eighth grade, but they’ll go back to school (Cedar Middle School) and they will have bulldog gear. We’re giving them a chance to find their home at Oak Hills before they come here next year,” Genevieve Johnston, ASB Adviser of OHHS.

With new students meeting other students from a different school, and given discussions of what the students experienced will allow a student to join clubs and activities that would encourage the school as a whole.

The future bulldogs were also given a tour by ASB members of the campus of where all sections of class were placed. With the tour, the students are given a visual of what the campus looks like and know where each building is.

Cedar Middle School students entered OHHS not knowing what the school was like, how OHHS students would treat them when they visited, or if they were to like the school. The students left in full knowledge of what the school was like and how the staff members treated them from a welcomed greeting to a temporary farewell.