Lady Bulldogs Soccer Team was Unleashed this Year

Girls soccer team accompanied by Principal Capps, Coach Kulm, and Mr. Yancey

Taken from Twitter

Taken from Twitter

Taken from Twitter

A dive into the OHHS Girls Soccer team for the 2018-2019 school year

The Oak Hills High School Lady Bulldogs have had a phenomenal athletic school year. Girls soccer was able to keep their MRL title back to back, keeping up the tradition. They also fought hard to become CIF Champions for the 2018-2019 school year. They were coached by Joe Kulm, who was also named Division 3 Coach of the Year.

Taking off with a rocky start at the beginning of the year with a tie to Los Osos High School with a score of 1-1, a loss to Newport Harbor High School 1-0, and a loss to Montgomery High School 3-1.

However, the Lady Bulldogs immediately snapped back into a winning streak that blew away the students and staff at OHHS. The team beat Mayfair High School (6-0), Adelanto High School (6-0), and Summit High School (7-0) all within a span of one week. The ladies continued to bring the heat as the charged full force to beat Barstow High School (10-0) and Etiwanda High School (4-1). With a rival game with Serrano High School, the girls were able to beat the opposing team with a score of 2-1.

“The best moment for me was winning the CIF Championship game mostly because of the excitement of my team, [Coach Kulm] and our supporters faces,” happily states Andrea Nuget, an OHHS senior who recently took the Defensive Honor for the second year in a row for the Postseason Awards.

With a fire starting under them the team continued to keep up their winning streak against Hesperia High School (10-0), Citrus Valley High School (5-0), Beaumont High School (5-1), and Grand Terrace High School (4-0). As the 2019 year started, the winning streak kept its pace with back to back wins against Apple Valley High School (2-0), Sultana High School (6-1), and a whopping score of 12-0 from the Lady Bulldogs against Burroughs High School.

After gaining another six wins, the team headed to the 2019 CIF Playoffs. Their first playoff game happened on their own turf, with a win against Chaparral High School with a score of 2-1. The next game was two days later at Sierra Canyon High School with a win of 2-1 once again. During the Quarterfinals the Lady Bulldogs beat out La Serna High School with a score of 3- 2 in Whittier, California. During Semi-Finals the team was able to beat Culver City (1-0), during the CIF Finals they had another win against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (1-0), and San Diego High School (2-1).

“This was a great season for us. We had a new team with new people and we played well together,” comments Lilly Arroyo, an OHHS senior on the varsity team.

Their last game, the CIF Regional girls soccer, was against Culver City once again and although it ended with a tie 1-1, it was the end of a long run for the OHHS girls soccer team. Their drive and determination all season pushed them past the barriers created from years before. They made OHHS history and students and staff are so proud of them.

The 2018-2019 team has set the bar high for the next seasons upcoming players and hopefully the challenge will be accepted or even beaten.