College is Not for Everyone But it is Recommended

Just Let College Be There

March 29, 2019

Oak Hills High School Career Center

Oak Hills High School Career Center

Joanna Cruz

Oak Hills High School Career Center

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Oak Hills High School Career Center

Everyone has been told at a young age to know what to do as a career, whether it be inheriting a family business and becoming something that is expected from family or following a passion that came to be from childhood. Some people are lucky to have the freedom to decide on wanting to be a lawyer, a banker, a teacher, and many other different careers they would like to do.

Yet there are some people who are not so lucky in choosing their own career and not being able to have the freedom to follow their passions and dreams, which then results in them not being able to transform into someone that can be an idol to others. By inheriting a family business that is passed from generation to generation, it is expected for the heir to continue the business and repeat the cycle, despite the heir refusing to be part of that family business.

By deciding not to go to college, it should not diminish a person especially since it is one’s personal decision to not go. However, those who do desire to go to college should be aware on the certain difference between high school and college.

“Exploration, preparation, and a reality check, for some, you will be on your own for everything. It’s just being independant, learning to do your own laundry, paying attention in class, don’t fail just be ready,” Diane Rodriguez, Oak Hills High School Career Center Specialist, commented on what students should be ready for to enter college.

Though college is viewed to be a valuable source to earn a career through years of school that are necessary in order to be successful in their life-long job, it does not engage with certain people.

College has been given a platform that is seen to be taken seriously and give people of different ages (young and old) to be something they desire to be. Skills in college is learned by communicating and knowing different sources that anyone can learn. However, college is an optional tool for anyone to decide to take and college is not something that everyone would want to do.

People do not go to college, one of the reasons being not having money to pay for the college, because they have no interest in spending years to learn something that they can learn on their own along the way. Some are successful in gaining a career without going to college, but some are not victorious in having the job they would like.

“I recommend setting yourself up to have the option of attending college while exploring what career goals you are interested,” Analina Sandoval stated on what unsure students should think about if they are not sure of going to college. “The more options  you have, the more likely it is you will find a career that is suitable for you. By limiting yourself, you put yourself at risk of having a career you ‘have’ to do instead of ‘want’ to do.”

Joanna Cruz
Picture yourself graduating from Oak Hills High School next to the Career Center

Some people would like a career in the arts, such as fashion, music, drama, and any form of entertainment that is not looked on positively by some relatives or friends.

Earning a place in the arts is not only difficult but it is also not seen as a success to certain families from fear of failure or believing it is not an actual career.

“Find your career on what you want to do, How you get there is up to you. If it involves college and that makes you the best, then perhaps that is your path. We concentrate on the Career. The end goal,” Rodriguez stated on advice to students who want to go to college. 

For students to have help in finding their passion that is in a career, they will become the person they want to be and the journey to their dream job will be their success. OHHS is known for sending students to college to further their education beyond high school and to be able to make themselves the best they can be.

For Oak Hills High School students who wish to go to college they may go to the Career Center and speak with Career Center Specialist Diane Rodriguez or their counselor.