Book Reviews: Get Booked

Monthly Book Reviews on Books That Are Good Enough To Read

April 2, 2019

Goodreads
Paperback of A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

A Curse So Dark and Lonely

Prince Rhen is the heir to Emberfall, but he is cursed into by a powerful enchantress until his eighteenth year with the only hope by having a girl to fall for him. With each autumn passing, he turns into a vicious beast bent on destruction that he destroyed his castle, his family, and hope. Harpar Lacy lives with her father and brother who is barely holding the family together, Harper learned to be tough to survive. She is taken into Rhen world from her attempt to save someone. Brigid Kemmerer gives a story full of fantasy and readable romance into a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

I am always surprised to discover that when world seems darkest, there exists the greatest opportunity for light.

Goodreads
Paperback cover of Before I Go to Sleep by S.J Watson

Before I Go to Sleep

Waking up in a strange bed with a stranger is frightening enough, but having that stranger explain that he is your husband and that you were in a terrible accident two decades ago is too much to take in. Especially if you are unable to make new memories. When Christine wakes up, she has to be reminded of the life she does not remember, but waking up everyday to be reminded of her past, she finds an unbelievable truth that could tell her what really happened those two decades ago. Read S.J. Watson’s novel of mystery to uncover the truth behind Christine’s terrible accident.

What are we, if not an accumulation of our memories?

Goodreads
Paperback cover of Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing

Rumors of accidents are nothing new to small or quiet towns in novels. In late 1969, Chase Andrews is found dead that leads locals to believe that Kyla Clark – the so-called “Marsh Girl” that haunted Barkley Cove – but Kyla is not what they say. Kyla lived for years alone in the marsh she calls home when she begins to yearn for love. When two men are taken from her wild beauty, Kyla is ready to begin a new life when something happens. Delia Owens brings a coming-of-age story with the a shocking tale of murder.

Goodreads
Paperback cover of The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff

The Lost Girls of Paris

After losing her husband in the war, Grace Healey is rebuilding her life when she finds an abandoned suitcase under a bench. After finding out the case belongs to a woman named Eleanor Trigg, leader of a ring of female secrets agents who were deployed during the war out of London. As she sets out to find the truth behind the women in the photographs from the suitcase, she becomes drawn to a young mother turned agent Marie. New York Times bestselling author, Pam Jenoff, tells the true story of brave women  of the war that makes a tale from the hardest circumstances.

The truth is sometimes the very opposite from what you expect it to be.

Goodreads
Paperback cover of Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith

Bloodleaf

Prisoner of her own crown and an unwanted heir, banned from using her blood-magic Aurelia leaves her country after an assassination attempt and disguises herself as a commoner in a new land where she finds a happiness her crown never gave. As she perfects her magic, she falls for a man who is forbidden to rule beside her, and calls of a criminal plan is up to only her to defeat. Torn to be rechain and living in freedom, Aurelia cannot escape her fate. Fans of Red Queen and Uprooted, Crystal Smith presents a retelling of Grimm Fairy Tale “The Goose Girl” with mystery and inside of a fantasy world.

Honorable Mention:

Goodreads
Paperback cover of Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Vicious by V.E. Schwab (Villians #1)

Goodreads
Paperback cover of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (The Nevernight Chronicle #1)

Get Goodreads’ latest Spring’s Big Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books