Life in Oak Hills High School Pageantry

Pageantry members in their warm ups with Raymond Moreno

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Life in Oak Hills High School Pageantry

Get to know what pageantry is like behind the scene

Oak Hills High School is known for its outstanding student athletes and for the activities that students participate in during or after school. Pageantry is one of the many activities that students are able to participate to learn about commitment, time management, teamwork, and responsibility while still having fun. 

Pageantry, also known as Color Guard, is a group of students who present a display show to introduce the marching band. 

OHHS pageantry is coached by Raymond Moreno, an instructor at OHHS of fine art, band, and pageantry and Kristi Turner, the coach and choreographer of pageantry.

Pageantry allows students to perform as a team with each other’s support to showcase their school through dance. Students are able to make new friends and become more confident in communicating with different people, this helps students who have difficulty with socializing by meeting other students who were like them.

Joanna Cruz
Pageantry members making funny faces in their warm up clothing 

“Pageantry has helped me with my social life and it makes me talk to new people,” freshman Breanna Scott of OHHS states her thoughts on pageantry influence. Scott’s current position is rifle, sabre, dance, and flag on her first year of pageantry.

By having pageantry, students are able to learn how to time manage their academics and social life through the long hours of practice. When students are able to make friends in activities in school, it supports their social skills and gives them a chance to socialize without pressure.

Pageantry has its many benefits, but the main objective of it is learning not only learning social skills but also the great choreography that the teachers have to offer. Performing in front of the school at pep rallies, football games, and competitions can give you an adrenaline rush. It also allows students to feel more connected to their school spirit with their peers and can truly show their talent. 

“My advice is to always come with a good attitude and make sure you are committed to the team,” Scott states on her advice for first time pageantry members.

When students audition for pageantry for the first time, they are required to learn the basic counts of the flag. Once a student is accepted into pageantry, members have to show dedication and learn different steps in order to move up to different positions on the team.

Pageantry is allowed for both boys and girls to join at any grade level where students can gain capability with socializing and developing to control responsibilities over time. Students are able to make friends to build relationships with other pageantry members and to advance their athletic skills while still making it beautiful and elegant.