Oak Hills High School hosts its Annual College and Career Fair

Students gather in the gym to get informed.

Andrew Lentz

Andrew Lentz

Andrew Lentz

Held in the gym every year, the Career Center hosts the event that allows students to explore, be informed, and prepare for their futures.

Oak Hills High School hosted its annual College and Career Day on Friday, March 15th, 2019 in the OHHS gym. Colleges and career programs held booths with AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) students and college representatives for the OHHS students to gain information for future jobs and colleges. There are many different options with colleges expanding all over Southern California and jobs ranging from the High Desert Fire Department and Law Enforcement to nursing programs and military. OHHS encourages students to visit the event every year in order to see their future options after high school.

Oak Hills High School’s Career Specialist, Diane Rodriguez explains, “We host this event because it is not the journey, it is making sure you get to your destination.”

Oak Hills High School Senior Emonni Cummings thought that an event like the College and Career Fair would benefit students. Emmoni, who will be attending Texas Southern University and majoring in Biology starting August 2019, explains, “[Students] will get more knowledge about California colleges and different ROP (Regional Occupational Program) programs and vocational schools.”

Andrew Lentz
The San Bernardino County Fire Fire Corps explaining that being a Fire Fighter it not just about putting fire out. The four Fire Fighters are Brent Cannon, Jordan Avila, Casey Dodge, and Roy Gault.

College and Career Day gives high school students a chance to get opportunities for future job careers and meet with people involved with other colleges. Senior Brooke Beltram says, “It gives you ideas and in-depth information about career options,” and sophomore Josslyn Osorio agrees, “[This event]  gives you a good idea to get involved and help make decisions for the future.”

By giving students this opportunity, they can know what their career will be.

Presenters demonstrated the environment of their future career and the chance to know the kind of college that they will want to attend.

Sophomore Ruby Chaidez appreciated this opportunity, “We are learning about more new colleges, learning about the requirements and learning more about the future.”

For students to have a chance to learn about the college they wish to attend, they can be find the encouragement to attend and achieve their studies in their work field.

More information about colleges, career opportunities, ROP, scholarships, and much more, visit the Oak Hills High School Career Center or students may speak with their high school counselor.