Dessert Nite Was a Night to Remember

The school event had the air smelling of tasty treats

Dessert Nite Was a Night to Remember

Oak Hills High School choir students on stage together about to sing

Oak Hills High School choir students on stage together about to sing "Rolling in the Deep"

Allyson Patten

Allyson Patten

Allyson Patten

Oak Hills High School had its annual Dessert Nite that was hosted by the OHHS Choir on Tuesday, February 26th, 2019. Tickets were sold by choir students. Guests who purchased tickets for Dessert Nite were treated to one free dessert and placed in the section either close to the stage, middle distance away, or all the way to the back, by choir students who ushered them. Dessert Nite was a fundraiser for an end-of-the-year field trip for the choir students.

Dessert Nite had a great turnout with friends and family of the choir students coming to see the performances. The PAC (Performing Arts Center) was filled with smiling faces as students distributed desserts while dressed in formal attire. Once everyone was given a dessert and a beverage stand, which consisted of water, hot chocolate, hot tea, and coffee, then the performances began.

“The greatest part about Dessert Nite was finding out how solid choir was because I’ve been the president of a lot of clubs and the captain of a lot of teams and when something went wrong it was up to me to fix it but this time choir [was on top of it] and reassured me the whole way,” a smiling Agavni Balyan, an OHHS senior and choir president, states.

Bethany Tong and Brianna Wood sang the “Hercules Medley” with Brianna’s mother, Kirstin Wood, on the piano. They dressed in togas and had comical bits in between their songs. Being the first group, they still had lots of people coming inside slightly late but they were able to capture the crowd with their strong voices and humor. The next group consisted of Kalea Kirby, Celeste Mosqueda, Jacquelyn Mullaley, and Lilliane Ngalo singing “The Lava Song”. They were dressed in floral prints giving off a cool, laid back Hawaiian theme especially with the ukulele playing from one of the students.

Tessa Harrington, Elizabeth Harvey, Mason Lapa, and Jazmyn Uribe sang “Reflection” from Mulan. All four girls were dressed in tye dye shirts and black leggings for their performance.

The first teachers in the show consisted of Dr. Rocky Comberiati, Dr. Greg Saenz, and Jesse Maust singing some oldies such as “King of the Road”, “Paradise”, and “Wagon Wheel”. Another teacher that participated was Angie Ramirez-Aguinaga singing “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables.

“Dessert Nite was lots of fun. It was fun playing with Mr. Maust & Dr. C, and hearing the DeHart’s & Ms. Ramirez too. I was mostly impressed with Ms. Wells & our Oak Hills choir with all the work they put into the venue and the evening.  There were so many great small performances, and then their big performance to cap off the evening left me humming the tune on my way out,” comments Dr. Saenz, an OHHS chemistry teacher who performed at the event.

The next act was a comical skit called “Divorce Papers” which was performed by Morgan Lewis. It was a great, small break from all of the performances of singing and lightened up the mood. After the skit, Ashley Needham and Saphire Salazar sang “I See the Light” from Tangled.

The final act before the ten minute interlude was sung by Henry Rodriguez and Kaila Tang with “When Somebody Loved Me” from Toy Story. During the interlude, Metzly Barrios played “The Engagement Party” on the piano.

The last teacher performances came from Dr. Scott deHart and Allison deHart. With Dr. deHart on the guitar and Mrs. deHart singing, they were able to perform three songs called “Landslide” by Stevie Nicks, “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone, and “What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes. As the night wrapped up, choir came together to sing “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele.

“The best part was when the choir closed out the show with an amazing performance of “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele,” states Leslie Anderson, an OHHS senior who attended the event.

As the crowd lit up with up with cheering and shouts, the students all took a bow before heading off to clean up and say greetings to their family and friends.

Dessert Nite was a must see and if you were not able to attend this year, make sure to put it on your list of events for the 2019-2020 school year. You will not regret it.