Filed under Opinion

Selfies and The Dangers They Pose

Selfies and The Dangers They Pose

Oak Hills High School students, senior Laura Guadarrama and junior Ashley Chambler, taking a selfie.

Cynamon Brown

Cynamon Brown

Cynamon Brown

Selfies have been a staple in society and social media ever since phones with cameras were invented. Almost everyone has taken a selfie once or many times so they could post them on social media or send to friends. Selfies are a way to express yourself and feel confident about your image or just to get that perfect Instagram profile. Selfies, while not harmful when done right, can and are dangerous when people take them too far and people should be aware about the harm they can cause.

A recent study by the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health  in India found that from 2011 to 2017, there have been 259 deaths connected with 137 selfie-related incidents. Taking that this information was only in a certain country, there are many possible other incidents that could have happened all over the world including the United States. 

Many of these accidents happened while people tried to take selfies in risky situations. One of the situations that some selfie takers faced were two Russian soldiers who took a picture with a live grenade and it blew up in their faces. Only one of the soldiers survived and he had critical conditions. Another accident was with an 18 year old girl in Romania who laid on the top of a train for a new Facebook post. Unfortunately, her leg struck a 27,000-volt live wire and she immediately burst into flames and was pronounced dead at the hospital. 

There are many different types of things that people do to get a perfect, outrageous selfie and one of the most common is getting on top of towers or buildings without safety equipment. One famous selfie taker named Wu Yongning, died in 2017 after falling off one of the buildings he was taking a picture on.

There are many different situations of people dying while taking a selfie. Drowning was the most common with 32 incidents resulting in 70 deaths. Falls were the second leading cause with 41 incidents and 48 deaths. Other selfie-related deaths/accidents include animals, electrocution, firearms, and transportation.

I think that when people take selfies they should be in a safe area like their home. People or mostly teenagers have been affected by social media and want to get the best or coolest picture so they pull stunts like climbing up a tall building and taking a selfie to post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or any other social media sites.

People do not realize how dangerous these stunts are and they could get hurt or it could lead to death. Trying to get that perfect photo can eventually lead to death if they are not careful.

“It’s like a man-made disaster,” Mohit Jain, an orthopedic surgeon who has done research on selfie-related deaths, told The Washington Post. “It’s not a natural disaster.”

Here is a look at some of the dangerous towers climbs that people take featured on CBS.

About the Writer