Filed under Opinion

DIY Christmas Gifts

Buying Christmas Gifts for friends and family is always stressful, and nowadays, it is way too expensive. Just for a box of chocolates (the most basic thing to buy) costs around $20. This year it is time to save your money as so stated in the best way the blog, Good Housekeeping and their article on How To Not Go Broke Holiday Shopping,”Every year, you resolve (firmly!) to stick to your holiday budget. And every year, you find yourself being whisked into a marathon of gift-buying.”

Instead of spending those dreaded hours at the mall, waving good-bye to your money, take a couple of hours making awesome, cheap gifts that your friends or family will actually use. Why do we waste our money like that when we can just buy a couple of things from a craft store that are $20 and make gifts for all our loved ones?

Here is a list of the Christmas DIY Projects provided by The Paw Print Newspaper:

Christmas Snow Globe: Is a great decoration that can be used by anyone, and it only takes minutes.  

• I large Mason Jar with a ring and seal
  • I bag of craft snow or fine white glitter
  • 1-3 trees
  • Gorilla Glue

Start off with gluing the tree to the lid of the mason jar; allow to dry, pour water a little less than halfway in the mason jar, pour glitter and/or craft snow (1 cup) inside, close the jar with the gorilla glue in the rim (to secure), and turn over.  

Infinity Scarf: This is a craft for people who can sew or are learning how to sew. Making this cheap infinity scarf for your friends may take some time, especially if you don’t have a sewing machine.

•  1 piece of fabric 28×60 inches
  • sewing machine
  • ruler
  • scissors or rotary cutter
  • needle and thread
  • sewing pins

You take the 28 inch side of the piece of fabric and take the other 28 in. side and simply sew it and that is it!

Homemade Bath Bombs: They are perfect for all your extended family (great grandmas, uncles, cousins, etc..)

• 8 oz. of baking soda
  • 4 oz. of citric acid
  • 4 oz. of corn starch
  • 4 oz. of Epsom salts (make sure these are fine grained)
  • ¾ tsp. of water
  • 2 tsp. essential oil
  • 2.5 tsp. almond oil (optional)
  • A few drops of food coloring
  • Round, plastic, snap together dome molds
  • Whisk
  • Bowl and cup for mixing

You combine the dry ingredients, then combine the wet ingredients, and then combine both ingredients together. Find a plastic sphere-shaped mold, take the first half of your mix, and pack it tightly. Then take the other half and pack it into another mold. The final step is to let it dry for a whole day. You can pick any oils for when you add the essential oil.

Peppermint Soap Bar: “Even your toughest to please recipients will love to find this simple and handmade gift under the tree. And, it really only takes 15 minutes,” stated the Sits Girls Blog.

You will need:

• Soap Molds
  • Essential Peppermint Oil
  • Candy Canes
  • Melt and Pour Soap

Crush 6 candy canes to a powder, cut the soap into small chunks, and melt in a microwave. Add 20-30 drops of peppermint oil, put it back into the microwave for 30 sec., pour it into soap mold, cover the top with candy cane powder, put them in the fridge for 15 minutes, and you’re done.

The Perfect Mix: Is a mixture of Hot cocoa mix, Ghirardelli Squares, and Marshmallows.

• A latch-top seal proof jar
  • Hot cocoa mix
  • Marshmallows
  • Peppermint Ghirardelli Squares
  • Red linen fabric

Fill the jar halfway up with hot cocoa, put as many Ghirardelli Squares within or on top of the hot cocoa, add the marshmallows in until you fill it up to the rim of the jar, and then cut a square of the fabric, enough to cover the top, and snap on the lid.

Homemade Caramel: Would you believe me if I told you that you could make your very own gooey, sticky, homemade caramel sauce with just five ingredients in under five minutes?” Mentioned the Five Heart Home Blog.

• Vanilla Extract(1tsp.)
  • Butter(½ cup salted butter)
  • Brown Sugar(1 cup)
  • Heavy Cream(⅔ cup)
  • Salt(⅛ tsp.)

Melt butter in medium saucepan, on medium heat, mix in brown sugar and stir for 2 minutes, mix heavy cream and stir for 2 minutes, remove pan from the heat and add in vanilla and salt until well mixed, and pour sauce into a jar and cool in the refrigerator. You can keep the caramel in the refrigerator for up to a month. Also when you are done cooking the caramel it will look watery but will eventually become thicker.

That is our variation of DIY Christmas gifts to hand out to your family and friends and they will help you save money for yourself or for other occasions. There’s more to come for future holidays.